Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Brave New World Essay Assignment


John the Savage tells Mustapha Mond, “But I don’t want comfort. I want God, I want poetry, I want real danger, I want freedom, I want goodness. I want sin” (Huxley 240). Brave New World includes many moments like these that point to Huxley’s commentary on culture and the essential elements of being human.

Choose two components of culture that Huxley discusses in Brave New World. Analyze what causes humans to need that cultural component and what the effects are on a society when that cultural component is either present or missing. Analyze the cultural component in the context of Huxley’s satirical novel. Your thesis statement should tie together the two cultural components by making a general statement about the lesson about life (a theme) that Huxley is teaching through his satire.

Essay Checklist

___ I have completed two multi-flow maps in my notebook that analyze the causes and effects of the two cultural components discussed in my essay.

____ My essay is two pages, double-spaced, 12-point font, with one inch margins.

____ I have included a creative title for my essay.

____ My introduction paragraph has an attention-grabbing device like an anecdote or relevant quotation.

____The book’s title and author is incorporated into a general statement in the introduction or my thesis statement

____ The thesis statement includes specific cultural components and the connection to humanity.

____ The body paragraphs have clear topic sentences.

____ Analytical statements are supported with direct quotations from the novel.

____ MLA format is used to cite all direct quotations, e.g. (Huxley 24).

_____ Body paragraphs include analysis of the point Huxley is making about being human in light of the cultural component being discussed.

_____ The conclusion leaves the reader with a lasting impression by commenting on the relevance of the topics for the reader’s life. In other words, why do we care about these topics as humans?

No comments: